5.11.2009

5/11/09

Carnivore was the bomb! Woo hoo! Roasted chicken and ostrich meatballs rocked! Great sauces, and the tropical soda was great too! No stomach aches either... at least for me and Rick. The atmosphere was crazy -- there were monkeys in the trees behind us, and tree frogs creaking and shrieking so loud that we had to yell sometimes! Also, there music system seemed to be all late 60s and 70s tunes. Yes, I danced to ABBA as they carved meat off of swords... they played “Fernando”and “Dancing Queen”.

Also a bunch of Motown / soul stuff that was familiar, but I don’t remember them now. Sorry Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Our taxi broke down with a flat on the way to the restaurant with a flat tire.

Sad times, but because of being broken down, we saw the Kenyan President’s motorcade roar through the city. Pretty cool, actually. Kenya is first world -- it’s surprising to see black people that aren’t thinner than me around. :- )
Greg and Simon lost their hippo teeth souvenirs to customs... shoulda checked ‘em... too bad; they were nice ones. I can’t wait to get home... it hit me in the middle of a Kenyan gas station how surreal it was to be in a city that wasn’t American. Seriously, that was the first time I got that “I feel like I was photoshopped here” vibe. Hearing Audioslave’s “Cochise”, and Oasis’s “Cigarettes & Alcohol” on the in-flight radio station made the middle seat bearable. The girl next to me is snoring. I actually think that’s cute. Then again, I met a girl (a friend of a friend) a few months ago who had pretty bad breath... and I thought that was cute, too. Endearing, unique... you know what I mean...


Before getting on this flight I talked to a couple from London who were exactly one of those couples that Nick Park interviewed for “Creature Comforts” -- I almost didn’t believe that they were real accents, since they were so spot-on British. They couldn’t believe the poverty in Kenya... I told them what I’d been doing in Malawi, and it surprised them. They’re very sheltered... said the pot to the kettle...

Anyway... I thank you all for your prayers, your support, and your friendship... if I missed anything, please ask me about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carl it wouldn't have been the same trip without you. Thanks for taking time to write down all of these memories.
Danny

Carl it wouldn't have been the same trip without you. Thanks for taking time to write down all of these memories.
Danny

Carl it wouldn't have been the same trip without you. Thanks for taking time to write down all of these memories.
Danny

Anonymous said...

thanks

thanks

thanks