8.01.2010

fear (day 1)

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been any place or done anything. - Louis L'Amour

So, day 1.
In honor of shark week, and because I didn't want to try it again... today I took on sushi.
When asked, I was afraid to admit that I'm not a fan. I bet there's something you're scared to eat as well. The first time I ate at Chipotle I got a steak fajita burrito, and I was almost crying from the heat... I couldn't finish it. Now my order is chicken soft tacos (just sour cream, cheese, guac), and it's tied for my favorite meal.

Well, I went to Kabuki in Burbank, and after reading over the menu, I went inside. I immediately felt that rush of adrenaline you get when you realize that you've just been buckled into a rollercoaster. A slight eye twitch, a glance at the nearest exit, and then I knew I was in the right place.


I ordered a sampler. No sense taking the easy way out by only getting veggie or California rolls.

There was:
albacore (good)
regular tuna (thought I was biting my own tongue)
white fish (good)
yellowtail (too fishy, confused with white fish?)
salmon (slippery)
*krab (fake, I think...)
*sea eel (great, yet there were more bones in it than in my hand)
*shrimp (good)
*California rolls (avocado + eating a day at the beach)
(* = cooked)

I liked some, others gave me the shivers.
I think I'll need to keep trying; keep trying to find my order.

Oh, and I can still kinda taste it... is that normal?

0 comments: