4.26.2009

4/26/09 pt. 2

I sang “Africa” as we flew over Mt. Kilimanjaro (Kill-uh-man-jer-o? Kill-a-muhn-jar-o?). Saw a cute little Indian girl with squeaky shoes wander around the airport. I’ve forgotten at least half of the last 24 hours... and that’s kinda sad. The Nairobi airport was pretty odd -- it felt like sticks to Heathrow’s house of bricks. We watched a soldier patrol out the window with a machine gun and a red beret. I think someone made a musical Sgt. Barry reference. Maybe it was me.
So, we’re in Africa, in Malawi, in Brian’s house, and I’m sitting in the squishiest chair he has. Deet already scarred my cheapy watch. It looks acid-washed, or Alien-sprayed. Hahaha! We’re not supposed to drink tap water, or offer to give money or stuff to the Malawians (at least not without Brian’s say-so). Dinner was Shepherd’s Pie -- a-maz-ing! It was like a milder version of my Grandma’s Enchilada Pie... hmmm... maybe that’s where that name came from.


Chris and I got to ride on the outside of the Combi through Msilisa (mm-sil-EE-sa), a village right across the street from African Bible College. Every kid under 8 (and some over) yelled “azungu” (aah-ZOONG-goo!) at us, and ran up waving. Azungu means “white person”; not anything like an insult, just a skin-tone derived identification. More often than not, having an azungu in your village means money’s not far behind. A sad truth for Malawi -- all whiteys are gonna have money to burn.
Rick’s going to start building a residence for interns or potential grad students to stay at during their time at Kondi’s church, or at IBF. Right now, it’s just a maize field with a property line marker on it.
I just pulled off my socks that I’d been wearing since Friday morning. Right now at Grace, I’m hoping Jim, Mike, and Jake are taking the offering for Crossroads.
Silvana’s topic of conversation on Friday is still throwin’ me off... I think I know why she has and was holding her position. I can’t be fatalistic about it. Maybe when I get back I’ll do something about it. Someday I suppose.

0 comments: