4.30.2009

4/30/09

Ha, ha, ha... a good day at Lake Malawi.
It was a long drive, and I got to hear Ruben, Greg, Simon, Brian, and Lukas’ testimonies. Wow, Ruben the bad teen; Greg the philosopher; Simon, the kid saved from walking away; Brian, the born missionary; and Lukas, the saved ex-caffeine kid.
And now there’s a joke going around. At my expense... heh heh. Greg knows, and he’s encouraging.

The lake was so cool -- like a beach, but with faster and smaller waves. Chris and Rick went swimming... I was a little freaked by Brian’s “snail parasites that’ll kill your liver” speech, so I hung back. We ate at the Sunbird Livingstonia Beach, named after the missionary, of course.
We stopped at the wood / curio shops on the way back. They’re along the road to the lake -- at least 25 tent-like structures full of similarly-carved wooden things; keyholders, ashtrays, figures, bowls, toys, trinkets, and jewelry. But some are unique; the wood and the size, the detail or the shape. Such were the rhino bookends and the croaking toad. For the toad, you run the little club that fits in his mouth along his back, and it produces a hollow “glomp”ish sound. Yes, I saw toads here. They’re behind Brian’s house, hiding with the skinks in the run-off / woodpile near the electric fence. The noise is quite accurate at the right rate. I need to get Ed and Silvana something, too.
I don’t want to jinx it with mountaintop excitement... and this dern beard is itchy...
I love this crew, and I’d love to keep going.
Mosquitoes are punks, though. *slap* *slap* Come back you little creep!
We had steak fajitas for dinner, chambe (battered, with pop) for lunch, and French toast for breakfast!
I’m tired and happy and excited and I can’t hardly wait! So sleepy... YAWN!

0 comments: