4.29.2009

4/29/09

Origami + Malawian kids = fun!
I went with Rick to the construction site in the village, and after some shoveling and brick-sorting, I made a crane from part of a cement bag. I taught them the word “share”... they all had to pass the bird on, or it fell apart, back into a piece of paper. I would flap the wings, and make a “grok, grok” sound, which they laughed at, then tried to duplicate. Teaching them vs. learning their words; wow!
“Baa-lamm” --> bird or crow
“Se-ca” --> paper
“tee-oh-na-na” (“mau-wa”) --> see you later (tomorrow)
Oh, and washing “mud” off with minimal water, outdoors, at night isn’t as fun as several hundred other things I’ve done. Grr...
But Fanta and a couple conversations -- one with Lukas, one with Greg -- hit the spot. Lukas and I were putting up pictures and photos, but Greg hit the nail on the head. Gah!
The phrase “Finnegan's Wake” jumped into my head and stuck today. Why?

0 comments: